What’s a celebration without a cake? Or a scone or a cookie? It’s time to celebrate World Baking Day which takes place every year on May 17th. So, tie up your pinny, dust off the rolling pin, pre-heat the oven….and, bake!
We love indulging in a sweet baked goods fix at Quattro Foods but we also love the process of watching butter, eggs, sugar and flour transform into the mouth-watering delights that make our day extra sweet. We’re in the kitchen, we’re ready to bake and we are in our element.
On this sweet and special day people all around the globe come together to share recipes and to share the baking love. It’s an art that’s been around for millennia. Did you know that ancient Egyptians are credited with the first recorded evidence of baking in 2600 BC? Today, people everywhere love baking breads, pastries, cakes, pies and cookies and so many more delicious treats. And not just for birthdays or other celebrations. People find that baking helps them relax and often do it for no reason other than well, to bake.
And it’s not just a hobby for the professionals out there. Even without fancy or expensive equipment, you can create something delicious and impressive. You just need a few basic tools like wooden spoons and measuring cups – oh, and an oven would help. And if it doesn’t look like it belongs in a bakery window? Who cares? As long as it tastes delicious, you’ll have them queueing up for seconds.
Need a few ideas for celebrating World Baking Day? Here are our top tips:
- Charity starts in the kitchen. Get baking for a good cause, such as a sponsored bake-athon to raise money for charity or to make baked goods as donations to your local food bank or homeless shelter.
- Get creative by trying a new recipe or two. Pick up your old baking books or look up a fancy creation online – there are literally thousands of recipes available just by Googling the word ‘cake’.
- Share your sweet creations with loved ones. You’ll be flavour of the month if you surprise family and friends with a warm and mouth-watering batch of cookies.
- Get your beautiful baking online! Start a blog or set up an Instagram account where you can share your creations with the world and before you know it, you’ll have millions of adoring followers. Well, maybe not millions, but hopefully at least your mum and a couple of neighbours – you’ve got to start somewhere!
- It’s party time! Why not host a baking get-together, it’s always more fun with friends. Ask everyone to bring their own ingredients and equipment and you’ll have a brilliant time and get to eat the delicious results.
Baking started out as a way of feeding families, but has evolved into an art form and a source of joy. It offers a reprieve from hectic every-day life and provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when we see the results of our efforts in the form of delicious treats. It’s a way to create something delicious and share it with others, and at Quattro we’re celebrating World Baking Day by expressing our kitchen creativity and loving every single sweet, spoon-licking minute.
Happy World Baking Day from all of us at Quattro Foods!