Let’s have some pancake flipping fun – it’s Shrove Tuesday and Team Quattro is all set to beat that batter and get flipping for Britain! And do you know why it’s such an important and special day? Because we have been detoxing since Christmas, and we are determined not to give up our healthy eating resolutions. Lent is coming and it will be observed. (Well, that’s the plan). But (there’s always a but) to say a fond farewell to the sweetness in our lives, we will indulge in fluffy and delicious pancakes on Tuesday 16th, ready to go hard into sugar-abstinence on Wednesday 17th, all the way to Easter, when chocolate will once again sweeten our lives.
Actually, we’re not the only ones. All of you, our lovely customers, seem to be honing that sweet tooth lately too. Maybe it’s Shrove Tuesday, or maybe it’s just escapism from this miserable pandemic-induced stupor, but team Quattro has seen a surge in demand for sweet sauces – perfect for popping on pancakes? We think so!
The day before Ash Wednesday, Shrove Tuesday is observed globally in many religious and cultural ways from confession and absolution and the ritual burning of the previous year’s Holy Week palms, to having a fun-filled lockdown-style family pancake party, with Quattro’s sweet sauces as the perfect accompaniment.
Forming part of our ambient range, our sweet sauces with their extended shelf life can be used from Shrove Tuesday, all the way to Easter and beyond.
Our ever-popular sweet sauces include chutneys, which can turn your everyday poppadum into a delightful dish bursting with texture and fruity sweetness, to compotes, ideal for porridge, biscuits, cakes, or pancakes!
Sorry, we distracted you with the sauces, but don’t forget the star of the show, the main event – the pancakes themselves! Here’s a fool-proof recipe:
- 100g plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus a little extra for frying
- Whisk the flour, eggs, milk and oil with a pinch of salt in a large jug until you have a smooth batter.
- Carefully wipe a medium frying pan with oiled kitchen paper and start heating it on a medium setting or flame.
- Pour 2 tbsp of pancake mix into the hot pan. Cook for 1 minute on each side until golden.
- Can you flip a pancake? It takes a bit of practice and you may waste a couple but it’s a fun party trick and a skill you will enjoy for a lifetime. Go on, get flipping!
- If you prefer to serve them warm, keep them in a low oven as you go along.
Serve with lemon, sugar or maple syrup – or with a selection of Quattro’s sweet sauces and enjoy. You have 24 hours to demolish these delights until your Lent resolutions come into play, so make the most of it with the sweetest, tangiest and most delicious sauces you can lay your sticky fingers on – happy Pancake Day!