As the Covid-19 pandemic continues to wage war on our society, our economy, our education and our health, the UK government has published a set of guidelines to help steer us towards a healthier lifestyle, in the hope that tackling obesity will help improve the nation’s overall health and fight the effects of the virus more vigorously.
It’s an undisputed fact that those living with obesity face shorter life expectancy and increased vulnerability to heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes. Sadly, recent times have demonstrated that it also exposes people to worse outcomes if they contract coronavirus. Public Health England has recently highlighted evidence that being overweight can lead to an increased risk of severe symptoms and hospitalisation, including admission to Intensive Care Units and even death from COVID-19.
These are some of the initiatives set out in the guidelines:
- A campaign reaching out to anyone who is overweight to move towards a healthier lifestyle
- Extending weight management services throughout the NHS
- Gathering evidence on our current ‘traffic light’ food labelling system
- Requiring restaurants, cafes and takeaways with more than 250 employees to add calorie labels to their products
- Curbing the promotion of high fat, sugar or salt in food by restricting promotions such as buy one get one free
- Banning the advertising of high fat, sugar or salt in food products on TV and online before 9pm
Tackling obesity has become a priority and in line with the government’s commitment to helping adults and children lead healthier lives, the Quattro Foods team continues to provide low fat, sustainable food to support the health of our nation.
At Quattro Foods we are aware of the importance of the wellbeing of our country although we also appreciate the prohibitive costs for our customers of making changes and we’re here to help the industry get back on its feet by reducing calories in many of our ranges.
As one of the nation’s leading food manufacturers, Quattro Foods has taken on the challenge of helping people eat well as well as supporting our customers and their businesses. It’s a fine balance but we’re succeeding so far and we will persevere in our goal of bringing the tastiest and healthiest food to the people!